The Gun Langham Village History Group
Langham Village History Group
Langham Village Web Site
The Gun has become a piece of Langham Folklore The Parish Council minutes reveal that : A captured German gun was offered as a trophy to the village in 1920 There was difficulty in finding a suitable site but the Guns eventual home was the Green at the end of Well Street The Gun was offered to the Ministry of Supply in 1940 to serve as salvage for munitions production. The ministry accepted the offer but did not remove the Gun. The Gun was sold by the Parish Council to a scrap merchant for £5 in 1941!
West end of Well Street Langham showing captured German WWI gun, the village pump & traction engine well (fenced foreground)